Friday, February 29, 2008

First attempt at gluten free bread

We're going on the big elimination diet tomorrow, and in preparation I bought a bunch of baking supplies (xanthium gum, guar gum, tapioca flour, potato flour, etc) and baked me a loaf of gluten-free bread tonight. Here's the recipe:

Dry ingredients:
2 1/2 c. rice flour (I ground brown rice in my wheat grinder)
1/2 c. tapioca flour
2 1/2 t. guar gum
1 T. yeast
1 t. salt

Wet works:
2T honey
2T olive oil
1 1/2-2 c. water
1 t. cider/rice vinegar

Put dry ingredients in food processor. Process to combine. Add wet ingredients. Process to combine. Pour into greased bread pan. Bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Now reading through the instructions, I realize I didn't put in enough yeast. Nevertheless, here's my review. It needed to bake for a good 5 minutes longer, as the middle was still raw. I also couldn't get over the fact that it tasted like a loaf of warm rice. Just didn't taste like bread to me at all. And Lacy's review was spitting it out in the garbage can. I don't think I'll be making this bread again. It's going to be hard replacing our gluten-rich yummalicious bread.

No comments: