Sunday, September 07, 2008

...Must...Stay...Awake...

I have 30 minutes of processing time left tonight and I'm DONE. But I have to stay awake until then! I'm on my last batch of nectarines/peaches and then I can sleep! Until it's time to do pears and apples, sometime next week. I'm sure I'll have some long nights ahead of me with those, especially the apples-- I already have four huge boxes-- probably well over 100 pounds-- that I need to start processing soon. I did 4 batches tonight (4x7=28 quarts) of mostly nectarines, but one quart of peaches. Dave is bummed because he's been snacking on the nectarines and now they're gone. But I had to can them tonight or they were going to get too soft for canning! I am so tired right now I can hardly think. I've made probably 5 batches of syrup tonight, maybe 6, and I've cut and packed quarts and quarts of nectarines. Then I have to be very careful with sterilization and sanitation, wait for the hot water caner to come to a full boil, and set the timer for 30 minutes. It always takes at least 15 minutes or so for the water to come to a full boil, even if the water was boiling when you started adding the jars.

So anyway, if this blog makes no sense, it's because I'm only blogging so I can stay awake until the last of my fruit is canned.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I have been canning too! But since it was my first time, I only ordered 2 boxes of pears and 1 of peaches. We ate a few peaches and canned 10 jars. I have been dehydrating a lot of the pears because that is my absolute favorite but I think I will try to can a few jars as well. Have fun!

Donna Shoop said...

my mom was telling me her new favorite thing is her pressure cooker, she said it only took 5 minutes to process her peaches!