Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Alliteration and a Menu

One of my favorite unsung heroes of the vegetable world is kale.  It is so delicious!  And full of controversy! So tonight we had one of my favorite dishes involving kale:  Cosmic Cashew Kale and Confetti Quinoa.  Say it out loud. I like to leave the chickpeas part out of the name because it's so much more fun to say without it, even though chickpeas are delicious.  I love the way the name of this dish sounds!

But even more, I love the way it tastes.  I wish I had made a double batch.  Oh well.  

Cosmic Cashew Kale and Chickpeas with Confetti Quinoa
The creamy sauce made from cashews really makes this dish delightful.  It's from Fat Free Vegan, probably my #1 source for vegan recipes.  I adore her recipes!  

My 6 year old disagrees that this dish is the bees knees, however, and said that it was not a make again meal.  Too bad for her, it's going into the regular rotation.  Dave and I both love it.  And Lacy likes it okay, so there's that, too.  

Anyway, Wednesday is payday, which means that Thursday is go-to-the-bank day.  And also errand running day, because I hate to waste gas by going out more than is necessary.

So that means that Wednesday is menu planning day and grocery list writing day.  Here is what I will be serving to my family in the upcoming week:

Thursday is my busy day, so it is leftover night.  Which is a lot of fun for me because that means my kids raid the fridge and get whatever they want to eat out of it, by themselves.  I'm fostering independence!

Friday:  Curry and rice.  I don't have a recipe for this because it's so simple.  I'll do a blog post on how to make this dinner soon.  It's probably my most popular dinner with the kids.

Saturday:  Tostadas.  It's another one without a recipe.  I'm keeping my weekend menu simple!  

Sunday:  I'm thinking Chocolate Strawberry Truffle Pie in a Chocolate pie crust.  Oh, for dinner, you say?  Hm, not going to do it today.  I'm not sure what kind of a vegan meal the kids are going to come up with, but I'm sure it will be edible!  

Monday:  Tortilla Soup, once again from Fat Free Vegan.  I use kale (of course) in this recipe.  Yum!


Wednesday:  Aztec Corn Soup

Thursday:  Leftovers

Friday:  Chili  

I really want to try the Quiche with Greens recipe, probably soon because I need to use up some spinach soon.

And maybe I'll suggest the black bean and potato nachos for Sunday dinner?  Looks pretty simple and tasty.  As long as I don't have to make it, I'm happy.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, I went to the Vegan blog and saw the cheesy cauliflower sauce. It looks like something I want to try. Do you use/add nutritional yeast to anything?

Suzie P.

Carolyn said...

Hi Suzie,

I actually made the cauliflower sauce tonight! I thought it was pretty tasty. I ate it on a baked potato with some broccoli. I use nutritional yeast occasionally in recipes, and sometimes sprinkle it on top of spaghetti as "cheese." I'm still pretty new to being vegan, but my oldest daughter is allergic to dairy so I've been making alternatives for a couple years now.

Anonymous said...

Great site you've got here.. It's difficult to find quality writing like yours nowadays.
I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Feel free to visit my blog :: buy alta white